2008/5/2 Yusuf Goolamabbas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> According to this page,
>
>  http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/unix.html
>
>  In addition, Java, Ruby, Python, and Perl have been extended to support 
> DTrace, providing unprecedented access for monitoring the performance 
> characteristics of those languages.
>
>  When I do dtrace -l | grep -i perl on MacOSX 10.5.2. I don't see any perl 
> providers so I am not sure how I could monitor perl scripts via dtrace

You need to have a perl process running to see its probes - try this
command to see what's available:

$ sudo dtrace -l -n 'perl$target:::' -c "/usr/bin/perl -e1"
   ID   PROVIDER            MODULE                          FUNCTION NAME
18810  perl94989     libperl.dylib                      Perl_pp_sort sub-entry
18811  perl94989     libperl.dylib                   Perl_pp_dbstate sub-entry
18812  perl94989     libperl.dylib                  Perl_pp_entersub sub-entry
18813  perl94989     libperl.dylib                      Perl_pp_last sub-return
18814  perl94989     libperl.dylib                    Perl_pp_return sub-return
18815  perl94989     libperl.dylib                     Perl_dounwind sub-return
18816  perl94989     libperl.dylib                Perl_pp_leavesublv sub-return
18817  perl94989     libperl.dylib                  Perl_pp_leavesub sub-return

You could also look at Devel::DTrace on CPAN, which provides the same
probes for an unpatched perl binary. That might be better if you're
using a macports perl, say.


Chris.
_______________________________________________
dtrace-discuss mailing list
[email protected]

Reply via email to