On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Joel Reymont<joe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I added a couple of static probes to Firefox to measure actual work done. I
> could have used a pid$target probe with a function name but work is done
> within an if statement, which is where I placed the static probes.
>
> I'm wondering about my use, though. Is the following significantly more
> efficient than pid$target::FunName:entry and return?

No, it's not significantly more efficient.  Both function entry/return
probes and USDT probes involve replacing an instruction in the stream
with a trap instruction.  The expense of the trap into the kernel is
going to overwhelm any subtleties in handling between the two
different types of probes.

> I heard somewhere that $target does not need to be used with static probes
> but the probes don't show up unless Firefox is running and then only as
> mozillaNNNNN, i.e. mozilla$target.

Nope, you'll need $target.  Both the pid and USDT probes manipulate
the target process, so they need some way of identifying that process.

Chad