Thanks for spelling that out what you were working with.

As a matter of style, splitting the test logic across probe declarations sure
would be easier to read (and reread).

All that opt_* test logic in one predicate requires the maintainer to
understand the preamble. For example, when is OPT_command set? When opt_pid and
opt_name are not, which means a command should be given instead (otherwise the
help option triggers). If there is a command, it is read from $* which, judging
by the documented comment may throw off a reader from time to time.

While I trust there isn't a substantively cleaner way to add so many options,
in this case I would opt for separating concerns and choosing clarity of
expression over economy.

Just a US$0.02 observation based on the time it took me to unravel your
solution...

Regards,

Michael