"iostat -Cx 1" is your friend.

The -C flag will provide a rollup per controller
(c1, c2, etc) so you can determine the IO rate
on a per-controller basis (IOPS and bandwidth).

I'd start there. DTrace rocks, but you should be able
to answer this question with iostat.

/jim

Michael Brian - IL wrote:
I am pretty new to Dtrace but use the Dtrace Toolkit when trying to
troubleshoot I/O issues
On Oracle.

I am looking for help on how to do the following:
I am trying to answer whether adding more HBA Cards/ports
would be effective.

To do this, I need to know the i/o's per second
As well as total bandwidth per second.

Has anyone done this before?

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to attack this problem?

I have been tuning Oracle for quite some time now, and I am continually
Asked to prove what I tend to know naturally, that the classic 1 HBA, 2
port card
Isn't cutting it.
I also have similar discussions on whether I am saturating the BUS on a
particular box.

Brian ----------------------
Brian P Michael
Technical Management Consultant
Rolta TUSC, Inc.
micha...@tusc.com
630-960-2909 x1181
http://www.tusc.com
The information contained in this transmission is privileged and
confidential information intended for the use of the individual or
entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this transmission in error, do not read it.  Please immediately
reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error
and then delete it.  Thank you.