Hi William,

DTrace contains no such facility. While such a feature might be useful
for kernel debugging, we decided that it presented too grave a risk.
The DTrace motto is first do no harm -- it must always be safe to use
in production. While destructive actions do -- as their name states --
afford users an opportunity to modify the system, they do so in a
constrained way. The ability to modify kernel memory would afford the
user an unbounded opportunity for destruction, data corruption, and
subtle mayhem.

Adam

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:31 AM, William Reich <re...@ulticom.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> While trying to debug a kernel driver,
>
>  I was using dtrace to try and write to kernel memory.
>
> I was trying to change the return result/parameter of a function call.
>
> No luck.
>

> I see that copyout can be used to write to userspace memory.
>
> I see that there are some ways to write to userspace registers.
>

> But nothing for writing to kernel memory.
>

> The documentation seems to have only one sentence that implies writes to
> kernel memory is not allowed.
>
> The new dtrace book does not say anything regarding this topic.
>

> So, the question I ask to the mailing list –
>
> is writing to kernel memory allowed in dtrace or not?
>

> If so, anybody got a sample ?
>

> thanks
>

> wr

Adam Leventhal, Delphix