Hi Etienne,

sorry to get back to you so late.

1. The residual evaluation is done element-wise. On each element, secondary variables are calculated from the primary ones by using the material law defined on the subcontrol volume. If the parameters are defined element-wise like in your example, it uses different parameters for the different subcontrol volumes. We are disregarding the possible jump in saturation.

The right way to treat this situation would be by means of an appropriate interface condition,
http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F3-540-45467-5_4.pdf
We still need to implement this.

If your model setup allows it, you can define your material parameters control-volume-wise. This would get you out of this problem, but has its own ones -> 2.

We are not satisfied about this current situation and are working on an improvement.

2. Thank you for the hint. I was not really aware of this fact. I am not sure it this plays such a big role for large-scale simulations with usually large element sizes. Nevertheless, we would heavily welcome an implementation of a corresponding Riemann solver to solve this issue. Alternatively, this sounds like a good student thesis to me.

Kind regards
Bernd