Dear Sevinj,

please always reply to the mailing list so that others can profit from the
answers too.

> On 21. Apr 2022, at 08:36, sevinj.mammad...@stud.tu-darmstadt.de wrote:
>

> Dear Timo,
>
> thank you very much. Your email and the links are very helpful. Yes, I needed
> exactly 2D shallow water model. I have last feew questions left. If you
> answer, I would be happy.
>

> 1. Is there any linked software with Dumux, (can be internal or external)?

I don’t understand.

> 2. Is there any 1D/2D coupled model?

Not out-of-the-box. But this is possible in Dumux as model coupling is an
integral part in the design. Currently, there is no 1D shallow water model. So
this would have to be added.
I happen to be personally interested in the 1D-2D coupled model but I can’t
promise anything is going to be usable in the near future.

At this point consider this important advice:

Dumux often doesn’t provide an out-of-the-box solution to your problem. This
means you need to modify and add stuff according to your needs.
Dumux is written (like Dune on which Dumux is based) using modern heavily
templated C++. This means you should be familiar with C++ or at least willing
to invest quite some time learning C++.
There is admittedly a bit of a steep learning curve.

> 3. IS there Water Quality and Sedimentation models?

not that I know of.

> 4. I know that Dumux use implicit FD Method,

that’s not correct. The 2D shallow-water model uses a cell-centered finite
volume scheme (with Riemann solver for the numerical flux) for the spatial
discretisation.
The time discretisation can be explicit or implicit Euler, whatever you choose,
however you have to implement a CFL criterion for the time step restriction
yourself.
Higher order time discretization are in the making, but not available in the
current version and would require quite some effort to implement.

> but I did not find any info about Mesh Type, if it is structured or
> unstructured.

Both structured and unstructured meshes are supported.

Also local adaptivity is possible, but again there is no out-of-the-box
solution for 2D shallow water.
You would need to implement a conservative mapping from one grid to the other
to transfer the solution and parameters yourself (there are some helper and
examples).

Best
Timo

> I found broad info about State and Private Organisations which have used/are
> using DUMUX as research purposes. Also about User Meetings, which is
> wonderful.
>

> Liebe Grüße,
> Sevinj
>

> On 2022-04-20 21:22, Timo Koch wrote:
>> Dear Sevinj,
>> welcome to the Dumux mailing list and happy to hear that you are
>> considering Dumux.
>> I’ll try to answer but it would be easier with more detail what you
>> are trying to achieve.
>> 1. Parallelization is possible for many models, both distributed
>> memory parallelism with MPI and shared memory parallelism (several
>> backends and for the assembly in the newest version)
>> 2. We don’t provide any special helpers for cloud computing but you
>> can of course run it in the cloud. The dependencies are very minimal
>> so it should be easy to install.
>> 3. You would have to be more specific what kind of mathematical model
>> you are looking for. You can find an overview of available models
>> here: https://dumux.org/docs/doxygen/master/modules.html.
>> For instance a 2D shallow water model is available and there is an
>> example here
>> (https://git.iws.uni-stuttgart.de/dumux-repositories/dumux/-/tree/master/examples/shallowwaterfriction).
>> The SWE model has been successfully tested on HPC clusters.
>> The code is highly customisable build with the intention that almost
>> every piece can be swapped out for a custom implementation.
>> Best wishes
>> Timo
>>> On 20. Apr 2022, at 14:57, sevinj.mammad...@stud.tu-darmstadt.de wrote:
>>> Dear DumuxDune staff,
>>> I am a student at TU Darmstadt and I am doing research on 2D software. In
>>> my list I added DumuxDune as well.
>>> I would be happy if you clear some questions for me.
>>> 1. Parallelization in Dumux Dune( in the handdbook there is a bit info but
>>> unclear).
>>> 2. Cloud Computing in DumuxDune.
>>> 3. If it will be  used in flood modelling.
>>> Thank you in advance,
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Sevinj