Question #116587 on Duplicity changed:

edso proposed the following answer:
Works for me .. We should document this more clearly in the man page.
Something like

"
Verify is done by comparing the archive contents with the stored signatures,
i.e. the archived file with its hash value at archival time.
If the --file-to-restore option is given, restrict verify to that file or
directory. duplicity will exit with a non-zero error level if any files are
different. On verbosity level 4 or higher, log a message for each file that has
changed.
"

ede