Question #173724 on Duplicity changed:

edso posted a new comment:
On 27.10.2011 13:41, ubuaverill wrote:
> Question #173724 on Duplicity changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/duplicity/+question/173724
>
> ubuaverill posted a new comment:
> On 10/23/2011 05:15 PM, edso wrote:
>> Your question #173724 on Duplicity changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/duplicity/+question/173724
>>
>> edso posted a new comment:
>> On 23.10.2011 15:10, ubuaverill wrote:
>>> Question #173724 on Duplicity changed:
>>> https://answers.launchpad.net/duplicity/+question/173724

>>> ubuaverill confirmed that the question is solved:
>>> Solution to problem was to use, for example, the full path in "file-to-
>>> restore":  /home/meUser/mydata.dat rather than just mydata.dat.
>>>
>>> The documentation is somewhat unclear, at least to me, about the how
>>> much of the path to use for file restoring.
>>>
>> could you point to the unclear docs for improvement?
>>
>> to be clear, the relative path of the file to your backup src root is
>> needed. how else would you identify a file in the backup?
>>
>> ..ede/duply.net
>>
> Hi,
>
> Thank you again for your help to solve my restore problem. Now that I
> know what 'path' means I feel somewhat stupid.

your welcome

>However, below is from
> the duplicity man page:
>
> --file-to-restore path
>                This option may be given in restore mode, causing only
> _path_ to be
>                restored  instead  of  the entire contents of the backup
> archive.
> _path_ should be given relative to the root of the directory backed
>                up.
>
> My interpretation of this was this: since I backed my home directory (eg
> /home/myHomeDir) it seemed to me that path meant any directories under
> /home/MyHomeDir (eg .thunderbird, myData, etc.) would all that is
> necessary with the 'restore file' option because the top of the 'current
> file listing' begins with /home/myHomeDir, hence assuming duplicity
> would 'know' where to start. I see know that was a foolish assumption.

what do you mean, could you give an example on how you thought it works?

> Generally the duplicity man pages are understandable; it does help
> greatly novice or advanced beginners of Linux to have examples to work
> from, at least for the more commonly used functions.

i will add a note that the path is usually the relative path (it has no
slash in the beginning) listed when doing a list-current-files. btw: you
can deliver a time to list-current-files to search for older backups of
the files.

..ede