Question #182479 on Duplicity changed:

edso proposed the following answer:
On 22.12.2011 20:00, Chris Stankaitis wrote:
> Question #182479 on Duplicity changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/duplicity/+question/182479
>
> Chris Stankaitis gave more information on the question:
> I upgraded the client to 0.6.17 which is your current stable as far as
> the https://launchpad.net/duplicity lists, due to corporate policy I
> can't use dev releases in production.  the behaviour presists in the
> current stable release.
>
> I tried the work-around listed in
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/829198
>
> and it works, would you please help me to understand the difference with
> the rsync (over ssh) backend vs the scp backend how are they different

rsync over ssh actually uses the remote shell functionality of ssh. you can
look that up in a search engine of your choice.
ssh backend actually uses the sftp binary (sftp client for shell) via pexpect
to up/download/list files on the backend (sftp server).

> and why would changing the backend solve this problem? other then the
> obvious "there is a bug in the scp backend"

i couldn't reproduce it so i guess there is no bug per se but an
incompatibility between your sftp client and the backends sftp service. could
you state name and versions?
for the solution: if sftp does not output a proper listing or error duplicity
of course assumes the backend is empty and starts a new full. rsync obviously
does not seem to have that problem. btw. if it works i suggest you stick with
it as i was told that rsync over ssh is faster than plain sftp.

> Is there any documentation I can reference to look at the differences
> between all the backend options to determine if I am using the optimal
> one?

if it is  not in the manpage you probably have to search in the
launchpad answer section or the mailing list...

ede/duply.net