Question #193846 on Duplicity changed:

Kai-Alexander Ude proposed the following answer:
Swapping is not occurring cause the server has 24 GB of ram. Swap partition is
512 MB.
When backup is running ram load is not really high. About 4 GB is in use.
Is it possible telling duplicity to use more ram?
How can I prevent the swapping process?

> If swapping is occurring, split the backup into multiple parts that make
> sense and try again.
Split the backup into multiple parts means one backup profile for email, one
profile for web, one profile for /etc ?

> did you make sure that your /tmp filesystem is not the issue here?
Changing temp dir to /var/tmp because /tmp is part of the system partition (/
mount point) with just 20 GB.
/var/tmp is mounted on a big partition, file system is ext3.

> maybe it get's sporadically slow?
Absolutely. Sometimes the duplicity temp file in /var/tmp needs just 5 minutes
to be created.
Sometimes (another duplicity temp file) needs more than a couple of hours.

> btw. it seems that nearly your whole backup changes on incrementals. in case
> of e.g. database
> dumps we usually suggest not to compress them as this makes the impossible
> for librsync to
> detect only the changed portions within a file. compression is then done
> during backup.

Database dumps are not in the backup set of duplicity. Another process handles
database backup.
And /var/lib/mysql is an excluded directory.