Michael,

In the case of this proposal, then, I suggest the CU fields
(AT_{name,comp_dir}) retain their exact current definitions. Language
implementations, regardless of whether they might want to support embedding
source, currently use the filesystem. This extension is essentially just
cacheing source which may become unavailable to the consumer by the time the program is debugged. This means the producer can put standard values in each CU field, and also embed source in the line table. If in the future there is a need to add CU fields or modify existing ones to capture some other attribute,
that can be done in a different proposal.

Scott

On 2018-02-01 17:32, Michael Eager wrote:
On 02/01/2018 08:07 AM, sc...@scottlinder.com wrote:
Hi John,

In the case where the files are actually available on disk, and the source is simply being "cached", the attributes are exactly the same. In the case where sources are generated, and so have no true path on disk, I would suggest we might just leave the exact meaning to be implementation defined; the producer can still provide valuable information which will aid in locating where sources originate, such as indicating the OpenCL kernel name. Consumers which are unaware of this extension will simply fail to find the source (as before), while new consumers can at least provide an identifier to distinguish sources.

Implementation-defined generally means that different implementations
will be incompatible.  Incompatible implementations are the antithesis
of a standard.

As a general DWARF principle, there should be no secret understandings
between producer and consumer. There should be no "secret handshake"
such as the one you describe where a producer provides "valuable
information" in some undefined manner usable only by a consumer which
is "in on the secret".  It's not that a different consumer doesn't
implement the extension, it's that a different consumer cannot implement
the extension.

Attributes which have a defined meaning, such as AT_name or AT_comp_dir,
should have a well defined meaning in all circumstances.

The remaining attributes (DW_AT_language, DW_AT_producer, etc.) seem pretty naturally orthogonal.

Regards,
Scott