LLDB also uses mangled names. The clang compiler is our expression parser and
it always tries to resolve symbols during compilation/JIT and it supplies
mangled names when looking for functions to resolve when it JITs code up. It is
nice to be able to do quick name lookups using these mangled names to find the
address of the function. That being said, we could work around it. Not sure how
easy that would be though as mangled names can end up demangling to the same
name with some loss of information and it would be important to be able to find
the right in charge or out of charge constructor when the compiler asks for a
specific symbol using the mangled name. We have more uses of mangled names but
most of them relate to parsing the symbol tables, so removing them from DWARF
wouldn’t affect those areas.

I wonder if these is a way to have a DW_AT_partial_linkage_name that relies on
the decl context of a DIE. Like if you have a class "foo" in the global
namespace it could have a DW_AT_partial_linkage_name with the value "_Z3foo". A
DW_TAG_subprogram that is a child of this "foo" class  inside this class could
have another partial linkage name "3bari" that could be put together with the
parent "_Z3foo" for a function like:

Void foo::bar(int);

Since many mangled names often start with the same prefix it might help reduce
the string table size.