On 12/15/06, Christian Garbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sander, does the attached patch fix your problems with the character
display under dmenu?  It changes the same thing that helped me to
display Japanese characters in the dwm status bar.

No, I already tried that, but it didn't change anything.

Using my default locale settings[1] I need the attached patch to
make dmenu print these three selections properly:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/tmp$ cat foo
こんばんわäöü FOO
こんいちわäöü FOO
おはようäöü FOO

But if I am using slightly a different locale[2] (I need it for Japanese
character input, but I use it only temporarily) then I don't need the
patch and dmenu displays these selections correctly when using the
Xmb*() functions.

Hm, these all display just fine for me with LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 and
font '*-terminus-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*', both with and without your
patch. Funny enough though, when I tried this with the wrong font (the
one urxvt said it took the Œ character from), the ü was replaced by
exactly that character :-S. Turns out terminus has that character as
well, and I can easily make dmenu display it with a simple
   echo -e '\214' | dmenu -font '*-terminus-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'
So I guess all this is due to urxvt using different fonts for
different characters and me not really having a clue how that affects
things. So it seems that there's no problem in dmenu here, although
I'm not completely sure yet exactly what's going on. When (if?) I find
out I'll let you know...

Greetings, Sander.