Well, the only thing which is missing that dwm keeps state of
the currently selected tags. The idea is that dwm putenv's the
currently selected tags whenever they change and a newly spawned
dwm instance looks for that environment variable and pre-selects
those tags. Then a clean restart will behave like reapplying all
tagging rules beside persisting the selected tags.

What do you think about this proposal? I think of something
like:

DWMTAGS="1:2:www"

You could as well define them in your X start script and dwm
will use those instead.

Regards,
        Anselm