Since the list is talking about slock, now might be an appropriate time
for me to mention again my xss project:

    http://woozle.org/~neale/src/xss/

This provides several single-purpose programs which allow you to build a
screen locker (or just saver) with a shell script.  I set mine up to
check the entered password against an md5 hash of my password: this
means there's no need for suid root.  At work, it runs kinit and unlocks
on success; this has the nice property of getting me a new kerberos
ticket at the same time.

When I mailed the list about this in April someone responded with a neat
thing called "sinac", which is a little smaller than xss, but polls, and
only replaces one of the 6 programs in my package.  Some folks may
prefer it, combined with slock or xlock:

    http://lists.suckless.org/dwm/0804/5534.html

Neale