During Armed Forces Day this is an authorized cross band operation. Military
stations operate on military frequencies and Amateurs remain in their
respective frequenies.

I doubt very much this other fellow (the "officier") was who he said he was.
In the 1950s military MARS stations did not require operators to have Amateur
Radio licenses. However, the had to remain on MARS frequencies and could not
go on the ham bands. His remark "we are military and can go any where we
went" is your clue he was a Slim and I doubt that if he was genuine he wasn't
about to flush his career down the tubes! He also could not give his ship or
his location. If he did, it would have been obvious he was Slim.

John N6JM