(Reply moved to DX Chat... as per the reflector rules on discussions, after
all...)

I wonder how much of a problem this really is.  Has anyone actually heard,
with their own ears, the DXpeditions operating Freeband or otherwise, shall
we say, improperly?

Keep in mind what just happened with CY0MM.  The "Sugar Delta" people had a
big web page that mimicked the official DXpedition page, named names, named
equipment... and when the, ah, news hit the fan (mainly over on CQ Contest)
the CY0MM team was extremely quick to "disavow any knowledge of (their)
actions" and claimed it was an over-zealous over reaction by people
unconnected to the CY0MM team.

Now, was it indeed the "SD" people going off on a romp of wild imagination,
or did the CY0MM team member(s) planning to "freeband" back off when it came
to light?

My only concern here is this:  To the various individuals who regulate
Amateur Radio around the world, they may well clump all individually
licensed operators (Amateur, CB, and "Freeband") in the same boat, and may
not care to distinguish between those of us who have worked so hard for our
licenses (and those who didn't) with those who buy a radio off the shelf and
turn it on without caring a whit about Radio R&R.  So highly illegal (on
many counts) operations like the alleged Desecho op recently cited could
come back to haunt us amateurs when we try to jump through all of the many
hoops that have prevented legit ops in the recent past -- "See, you guys
operate there anyway without permission, so no permit for you!  Freeband?
CB?  Ham?  What's the difference?"

And I'm not sure how disqualifying a DXpedition and/or banning it's
operators from DXCC will neccesarily help matters any.  We've heard all the
screams about 7O1YGF already, can you imagine the outrage from those who
work 1XX0ZZZ for a new one, send in the extra shekels for donation along
with their QSL card, wait patiently for months to get the New One for
whatever... and then find out the DXpedition was DQ'd because of alleged
Freeband operation by one op?  Who do you think will take the bulk of the
heat on that, the DXpedition, the op, or the ARRL & DXCC Desk?

(That's a rhetorical question, by the way... after all, who's taken most of
the heat recently on 7O1A and 7O1YGF to name two, the ops who have yet to
provide the government license if any -- yes, I know the story -- or the
ARRL DXCC Desk for sticking to the rules that have long been in place?)

This is a serious issue, and it needs to be addressed before it gets further
out of hand, but we must be careful that we're not overeacting to puffery.

Oh, and Kelly (KE9KD) -- I haven't looked, but if the "Sugar Delta" guys
have indeed swiped your content, I hope you know a good lawyer who can draft
a "cease and desist or else" letter.  Theft like that is uncalled for -- but
they probably figure that they'll get away with it because who ever bothers
to prosecute?  Just ask the HCA about that...  (what HCA?  Exactly)

73, ron wn3vaw

"You used up all the glue ON PURPOSE!"
In Memory of Shep K2ORS (SK) and 10:15 PM on WOR 710 AM