Check out the K7LXC/N0AX report available from www.championradio.com.
It gave the best overall score to the R8.  I have a Hy-Gain AV-640 (not
tested in that report) which is quite similar to the R-8 except for not
having traps (and being less expensive).  I've been pleased with its
performance on all bands from 40 to 10 meters in several months of both
casual operating and low-intensity contesting (subjective comment, but
other than the report mentioned above, this stuff usually is).

Bob, N7XY