Hello group,

Just a quick question regarding EWEs. I'm getting ready to punch some holes in the ground today to put up a set of 4 EWE 80m receiving antennas.

I've read both articles by Floyd Koontz, WA2WVL, about his 80/160 flavors and wondered if anybody has had any experience with them.

I'm thinking about doing an 80m only set of 4 based on the 80/160 set of 4 article published in Jan (1997?) QST. The original article was published in Feb, 1995 QST.

My question is this. What do you suggest for the terminating resistor to ground? Plain ole fixed carbon type resistor, some kind of pot, commercial terminator?

Also, for 80m what would you suggest for the horizontal length? My though was to go either 25' or 30' depending on where I end up locating the antennas (need to weave around power lines, ack!) and go 10' vertical. 25' horizonal claims 34.8dB F/B with -18dBi gain, while the 30' flavor claims 27dB F/B with -16.9dBi. So the 30' would get me a dB in gain, but I'd loose a little F/B. These numbers are for the bottom fed antenna which is what I'm leaning towards installing.

And finally, what does everyone typically use for switching between the 4 directions? Would a plain 'ole Ameritron 4 position remote switch suffice?

Sorry for the newbie low band questions. I don't have room for beverages and I've heard EWEs are a pretty decent compromise. I don't see myself working 160m anytime soon, so I'm not really worried about making the EWEs work on 160 (although that might come later). If anybody is on a low band reflector, feel free to repost this there.

Thanks,
Kelly - KE9KD
http://www.dxcentral.com