Hi Ron,
I have IOTA OC-200 by Mike, KM9D/KH8 5 & 6 NOV 2002 on 40 and 20 CW. Log notation says Swain Island. Not sure if this is the same, but it seems it would be quite a coincidence if it was a different one. I guess at that time it counted only for IOTA? At least it appears Swains Island has been on for IOTA anyway. QSL this one via OM2SA.
Tony, W4FOA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Notarius" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "DX-CHAT" <dx-chat@njdxa.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: [DX-CHAT] Swains Island

Have they applied?

I know that sounds like a dumb question... but from what little I've
gathered from the web site (www.swains-island.org), since this is a
privately owned island, it appears that there's never been Amateur Radio
activity from there before.  In which case, no one has probably formally
applied for DXCC status before.

Having said that... aside from the rather interesting story on the history
of the "American Samoa ARA" and it's application to join the IARU, which is
in and of itself another story...

Does Swains Island meet the "Geographic Separation Entity" criteria under
paragraph 2B of the existing DXCC rules governing entity recognition?  All
of them?  If so, then the ASARA has nothing to worry about, and the KH8SI
DXpedition should in time be properly recognized.  If not, then it's going
to be a new one... for IOTA participants, and there's nothing wrong about
that, either.

Kudos to ASARA for identifying a potential new one, but rather than gripe
about K1ZZ and what he did or didn't do, or gripe about the IARU society
loophole being closed, or argue as to whether or not ASARA could should or
would qualify as an IARU society (how do the rest of the KH8 amateur
population feel about that?  one wonders), let's see if it meets the
distance requirements in the first place.

And having said all that, remember the first rule of questionable entites:
WFWL!

73, ron wn3vaw

----- Original Message ----- From: "WC7N" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>