Jim

I think ARRL policy on this subject has been written rather clear in the ARRL
DX Bulletin 32 from August 12, 2004:

“Operations approved for DXCC credit:  Effective immediately, the
ARRL DXCC Branch will accept QSLs for operation taking place in the
Somaliland (northwestern Somalia) and Puntland (northeastern
Somalia) autonomous areas as well as the southern and central areas
of Somalia.  Operations possessing written permission from any
recognized authority that is acknowledged to be in control of a
particular region will be accredited.  These QSLs will count for the
Somali Democratic Republic (Somalia).  QSLs for past operations will
be accepted where proper documentation has been submitted.  This is
subject to change based on future developments in Somalia.”

As far as I know Somaliland has a quite effective government. Because of this
Baldur DJ6SI did ask separate DXCC-status for Somaliland a few years ago, but
ARRL did not approve. I think Somaliland is the authority that gives out 6O-
licenses, but I am not sure.

I don’t see any similarity here with Yemen (as stated by W1JMM).

73 Wim pa0wrs

Citeren Jim Reisert AD1C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I was reading an article today and this line caught my eye:
>
> "Somalia has had no effective government since 1991, when warlords ousted a
> dictatorship and then turned on each other, carving the nation of 8.2 million
> into a patchwork of fiefdoms."
>
> (from

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2006/01/22/us_navy_seizes_pirate_ship_o
ff_somalia/