The ARRL story leaves out an important item. The gentleman worked 3Y0X from his own station on 20 meter
CW the following day at his retirement home. Russ W4UBC
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 5:48 PM
Subject: [DX-CHAT] working a Dxpedition- yes its legal!

Please see story below from ARRL.

DX still king for 90-year-old radio amateur (Mar 2, 2006) -- Veteran DXer and contester John Thompson, W1BIH, has been largely out of the game since disposing of his tower, antennas and linear and moving into a retirement community in Massachusetts last year. But the DXCC Honor Roll member held onto his transceiver and his desire to work the few rare ones he lacked. When the 3Y0X Peter I DXpedition got under way in February, Don Greenbaum, N1DG, did his older friend a good turn by taking Thompson to his station February 9 for a crack at 3Y0X. During the last two Peter I Island DXpeditions, Thompson was at his winter home, PJ9JT, so Peter I has been among his most wanted. It only took about 30 minutes for W1BIH to make himself heard through the fray on 15-meter SSB and exchange reports. "We got him!" Thompson exclaimed seconds after the quick QSO. Greenbaum captured the occasion on video. Once confirmed and submitted to DXCC, the 3Y0X QSO will elevate W1BIH into a tie for second place in the DXCC standings at 390 entities--including deleted entities--or 335 current entities. DXCC Manager Bill Moore, NC1L, says Thompson currently is in third position mixed at 389 QSOs, and two operators are tied at 391

"Nothing great is ever achieved without enthusiasm."- Ralph Waldo Emerson.