I disagree with Linda. When the dx op calls a partial call, then s/he must keep trying until s/he works the station. This is the only way to control the pileup. The pileup needs to understand that continuing to call out of turn will only slow down the qso rate because no other station than the partial call will be worked.
de Ken W3JJ

From Linda KA1ZD:
Often I catch part or even one letter of a call and try that person only to have no response or at least be unable to hear the response so I go on to whatever signal I can copy at that point. There's not much point to screaming "shut up" to all the other stations calling out of turn and it would be a waste of time.