From: Ron Notarius W3WN [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 2:55 AM
Subject: That Darn ARRL Did It Again!

So, based on what I've been reading here, and actually for some time now
since the phone band expansion was announced a few months back, let me see
if I've got this all straight.

The ARRL pushed through the No Code HF license to increase membership and
therefore increase revenue.

No, on second thought, the ARRL is impotent with the FCC because they have
no money to influence the FCC and therefore is to blame for not stopping
this.

No, no, the ARRL is in bed with the FCC to screw amateur radio operators.

No, no, no, the ARRL is just clueless and has no idea what side of the bread
is buttered.

Ah, shucks, now I've got it, they're just a bunch of back stabbers.

Nope!  They represent the special interests and sold out the CW ops for the
digital ops.  No, make that the CW & Digital ops for the Phone ops.  No,
still wrong, they sold out the "coders" in favor of the "no coders."  I
think.  But they sold out.  Or sold somebody out.  Or something.  Well, they
sold something, anyway.

No, no, no, wait, now I've got it.  The ARRL pushed this through so that
they could increase the number of tests given and reap all their money from
those!

Oops!  Still wrong.  Actually, the FCC is run by politicians and political
hacks (imagine that) who are in league with the League.  Or is it that they
ignore the League?  I keep getting confused.

Oh yes, and all the people posting on this DX list and other lists are
almost universally against dropping the CW test.  Too bad the FCC doesn't
read this list and the others and listen to us!  My goodness, do they
actually expect us to file petitions in this day and age of message boards
and reflectors?

--------------

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, Fred and the boys at No Code International
must really be thrilled.  Not only have they finally got their agenda pushed
through, but they got the League to take the heat on it from all sides. With
one or two rare exceptions, haven't read about anybody complaining about
their actions... and weren't they the ones who've been filing the petitions
on this in the first place? Come to think of it, haven't heard anybody
praising them, either. Interesting.

--------------

We have to face an unpleasant truth:  Outside of Amateur Radio, the use of
the International Morse Code as a regular, routine, and accepted method of
communications has virtually disappeared.  Outside of beacon and repeater
ID's and the like, it's gone.  (Tangent:  Going to work on the "T" the other
day, I heard the Port Authority's repeater ID in CW.  The LRT driver
muttered 'I wonder what all those beeps mean, I hear them all the time.')
So, once the ITU determined that Morse proficiency was a skill the rest of
the communications skill didn't need, and dropped it as a mandatory
requirement for HF access by Amateur Radio operators, the rest was
inevitable.

I also think it is unfair to blame the ARRL for being ineffective in
stopping this.  It's not a question of them being impotent (although Mal
N7MAL does have a good point about the $$$ behind lobbying).  I don't think
the FCC paid any attention to ANY of the comments filed.  Again.  Someone in
the FCC was given the task of writing up the NPRM, and it sailed through
almost unscathed -- because, IMHO, the decision was made to take the path of
least resistance and simply eliminate Element 1 BEFORE the NPRM was filed.
So all those comments were, IMHO, for naught.  Every single one.

Why should this surprise you?  BPL is technically flawed and an obsolete
technology as currently being implemented, yet the FCC is pushing it.  Why?
Because the politicians running the FCC have friends in the industry who are
dangling money.  This is a surprise?  As I recall, when 220 - 222 was taken
away, didn't one of the Commisioners very soon after quit and take a job
with one of the firms that lobbied for it?  Nah, that couldn't be a
payoff... and before anyone says it, that happened when the Other Party had
their people in charge of the Gov't, not the Current Party.  Political
payoffs are, er, non-political in that respect.

So what do we do?  Well, first we take the only group that has any
reasonable hope of dealing with the FCC, gripe about them constantly, fail
to fund them, fail to support them, leave them with few tools (including $$)
at hand, and then when they fail to succeed at a near impossible task,
assess blame, quit, turn others against them, threaten to form a new group
and split our ranks further, and leave them is worse shape to continue the
fight or fight the next one.  Yeah, that makes sense.

Here's a novel thought to chew on:  You say the League is part of the
problem, not part of the solution?  Fine.  Then find a good communications
attorney, figure out how to afford him (or her), have his staff research the
FCC's notice for obvious flaws.  Then file suit to stop it, or take whatever
other action deemed appropriate.  THAT should show the League how to do
things, right?  After all, it will probably be a week or three until the
Notice shows up in the Federal Register, especially with the holidays coming
up, and then you have another 30 days until it takes effect.  Plenty of time
for a crack research team.   Well, it's that, or continue to kvetch and moan
here on the reflctor, which won't actually DO anything, but will make us all
feel better, right?

Oh, and please, keep blaming the League.  After all, it has to be SOMEBODY's
fault, and they're an easy target, right?

73, ron w3wn