You all have brought back some fond memories. The examiner in Houston was Lyle Bebee. Actually a pretty nice fellow unless you got a pink slip from him. I never shook so hard in my life as when I went for my Extra exam (Jan 3, 1963). In those days the FCC issued a special blue certificate for Extra Class Licensees. Fortunately from where I lived it was only about an hour drive. Also, the exam wasn't a wussy exam like it is today.

ie: "Draw a schematic diagram of a push-pull power amplifier using triode tubes. Show the neutralization and biasing networks and the plate modulation system." (These were the days of
       AM and before SSB)

"Draw a schematic of a full wave power supply using a center tapped power transformer and mercury vapor tubes. Include the appropriate bleeder resistor and pi filtering network.

Yeah, they really have it tough these days.

73, & Merry Christmas
Mike, W5UC

"age & treachery will overcome youth & skill"
http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/ Subscribe/unsubscribe, feedback, FAQ, problems http://njdxa.org/dx-chat