Pete,

If the ARRL or DXCC desk were to mandate LotW posting for DXCC approval, you
would hear even more screaming from a certain small but vocal element of the
DX community.  And frankly, mandating it would probably backfire on the
League.

I just can't see them doing it.

The continual increase in postage is going to put even more pressure,
though, for electronic or other non-postal confirmations.  Which in many
ways is sad... there's nothing like the actual feel of a QSL card... and I
for one get a small "kick" out of the 1932 W3WN card I have sitting in the
shack right now, it conveys a sense of history that a computer entry or .jpg
file online never will.

We're just going to have to figure out an alternative funding method for
DXpeditions.

One thought would be this... if I work your DXpedition, one of thousands of
W3's... why not permit me to confirm electronically via your web site, and
not only request your return QSL the same way, but cover the postage and a
"donation" cost on-line via a PayPal or similar service?  There are some
pitfalls in this, of course -- the biggest one of which is determining what
the minimum "charge" would be to cover postage and handling, closely
followed by the need to make any amount above and beyond that purely and
totally voluntary.  So it's a thought, but it needs work.

We can do better.  We should.  We will; we'll have to.

73, ron w3wn