Ah, but the DX manager wouldn't neccesarily have to.

It is now possible to automate even the printing of the QSL cards, so that a
DX Manager wouldn't have to sit there with thousands upon thousands of
labels to process (just see the card I sent you for your C6A op as a perfect
example).  At the same time that one would "order" his QSL card(s), the op
could also designate his desired mailing address, and that envelope too
could be automatically printed -- and even automatically have the correct
postage electronically affixed.

So what would be left, the envelope stuffing?  Betcha even that could be
automated -- just find someone with access to a Pitney Bowes Documatch that
could stuff cards into enveloes...

There are a few DX stations already doing this, and the "new" Global QSL
system is a variation on the theme (and it's run by hams who are commercial
printers, from what I've gathered, so they have access to the right
equipment)

The catch, as you've correctly pointed out Pete, is that it opens the door
to the potential of someone "buying" a QSL card without a valid contact.  Or
someone "requiring" a donation above and beyond reasonable return postage
costs.  But those are human, not technical problems.  Figure out away around
them, it could work.  Maybe.

Like I said before, it's a thought, but it needs refinement.

73