Hi Urb,

Perhaps the following info will be of some help:

I had a QSO with VS9AAA on 13 April 1963. The card says R.A.F. Steamer Point, Aden. VS9A, P, & S, were used until the end of 1967. Thereafter the prefix was 7O. I later referred to it at 7O "old" in my rewords. May 21, 1990 is DXCC's last date for counting the old 7O. On May 22, 1990 a new 7O was and still is being accepted. My first contact with a "New" 7O was on 28 May 1990 with 701AA.

I've re-read your E-mail and I think I'm just confirming what you already knew. I've Googled Aden and copied some information that might give you some additional Information, as follows:
History of South Yemen
Before 1959, the British interests in South Arabia consisted of :

 a.. the Colony of Aden
 b.. the Protectorat of Aden
On 11 February 1959 was created the Federation of South Arabian Emirates.
On 4 April 1962 the Federation was enlarged and renamed "Federation of South Arabia".
There remained a Protectorate of South Arabia.
The colony of Aden entered the Federation (as State of Aden) on 18 January 1963.

Independence was scheduled for 1968, but the NLF and FLOSY, urban guerrilla movements based in Aden, objected to the city's being placed under the rule of absolute monarchs, forced an early British withdrawal in November 1967, and established the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen (commonly known as South Yemen). (The exact date is November 30 1967.)

Vincent Morley, 3 February 1997

The full URL is http://www.fotw.us/flags/ye-south.html

73,

Leon,  (K2EWB)