John Owens - N7TK

From: Peter Dougherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
At 11:08 AM 6/3/2008, David Yarnes wrote:

You describe the problem very well.  The only thing is, it's kind of like an
accent.  You can pick it up going in, and you tend to lose it going out.
Habits are hard to break, but so long as we don't pick up on it ourselves, I
think in time it will begin to fade.

Personally hearing "QSL" instead of "over" doesn't bother me in the slightest,
especially if the QSO is with someone who doesn't speak English very well. The
more of an impediment the language barrier is the more inclined I am to follow
the other op's lead; if he turns it over to me with "QSL?" I will use that with
him if there's any doubt and if condx are marginal, etc.

For stateside-to-stateside or between native English-speakers (from anywhere),
I think it's silly, but to each their own. On local repeaters, though, it does
grate on me, as does most other "lingo" when both sides are full-quieting and
in-range of the repeater. When I elmer new hams I stress the importance of just
speaking to other hams the same as you'd talk to non-radio friends on the
phone.

The one bit of cb-crap that sets my teeth on edge is "on the side."

Regards,

Peter,
W2IRT