On Jun 30, 2008, , David G3XYP  wrote:

I recently made a few QSO's during the All Asia CW test, the exchange in the AA Test is RS(T) and Age for OM's.
Having checked my contacts I found the average age was 49.1!!
I wonder if anyone else checked their contacts this way.

It will be interesting to do the same thing with the SSB test coming up ( I think) in September.

David,

The same question was asked recently on the Contest Reflector.

My observation - certainly in our Contest/DX club CTDXCC - is that
serious contesting has become a hobby for "upper-middle-aged" folks (40-60?) who for the first time in their lives have some serious available time and disposable income. Of course we want young people too, but they tend to be short on those two items. And as for OFs like me - we're past the complexity and stress of modern contesting!

So I think that looking at the number of young people in contesting is
misleading.  In general, it's not a young person's game.  But as that
generation matures, they'll get the time, money and renewed interest which will make them the heart of the contesting business 20 years from now.

73,  John,  NT5C.