  From: John Warren
  To: dx-chat dx-chat
  Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 8:52 AM
  Subject: [DX-CHAT] Re: Honor Roll, etc.

  On Jan 7, 2009, at 4:58 AM, DAVE WHITE wrote:

          "However, make the honor roll with 150 watts and a dipole...... "

          Or do so from Northern Europe where signals are many dB down and
openings are always shorter in than in Southern Europe.  Also we have to break
through the wall of Italians and their chaotic
"random-calling-till-doomsday-for-maximum-QRM" technique in order to work
anything.

          cheers,  D.

  Couple of comments.

  I found it interesting to plot my progress toward HR on a semi-log chart, vs
time. There are two very distinct phases.  Up to 260 countries (say) is one
slope, above that there's an inflexion point to a significantly lower rate.
Reason : Up to 260, there are always new ones on the bands available to work.
Your progress is determined by how much time you're willing to waste on the
chase!  Above that, it's out of your control - You have to wait for new ones to
get QRV.

  Second comment : DXCC with its Honor Roll are rightly respected as the
granddaddy of the major DX awards. But it (and 5BDXCC) are certainly not the
toughest. That distinction goes to 5BWAZ.

  John,  NT5C.