On Aug 13, 2009, at 12:02 PM, Zack Widup W9SZ wrote:

My understanding was that they had some documentation but it was thought that their license or OK to operate was issued by a regional authority - sort of like the state of Illinois issuing me a license instead of the FCC.

That was more-or-less my understanding too Zack. Their operation was approved (in writing ?) by the office in Aden, but was subsequently disavowed by the head office in the capital Sana'a. Not wanting to burn its bridges for future amateur radio activities, ARRL/DXCC reluctantly supported Sana'a. However, I think there have been cases where ARRL accepted less than a national license - What about the scouts in 3V8 ?

Perhaps one day Bill will feel free to tell us if we have that right.

7O1A, the operation by Franz DJ9ZB and Zorro, is the one that frustrates me. So far as I know, there is no geographic issue - they were there. But what sort of approval did they have? It's the only 7O I have worked on 40M SSB, and there doesn't seem to be any move toward it counting.

John,  NT5C.