Ron,

> You and only you, to my knowledge, is claiming a lesser calculation
> (799.6 km&  change) according to the WGS84 "spherical" calculation,
> which has never before been used.  You and only you are demanding
> that the DXCC use this allegedly more precise calculation.

Other ARRL awards, specifically VUCC require the use of WGS84 so it
is only logical that the more accurate standard be applied to DXCC.
DXCC rules have traditionally applied a standard that the requirements
must be met *unambiguously* and WGS84 certainly shows ambiguity if
nothing else.

> With all due respect Joe, since the DXCC Desk has not announced their
> reasoning, it is premature at best to start railing at them for
> "thumbing their noses at the DXCC rules."

It's certainly not premature ... the DXCC Desk has had months to
announce what they would do and under what circumstances they would
do it.  There are at least a half dozen expeditions in the field
right now ... some of which are redundant even under the current
decision.  The rules are clear, everyone knew this day has been
coming for more than a year although nobody knew that everything
would finally fall into place until a couple months ago.  The
whole process should have been conducted in the daylight with
plenty of time to review the decision tree and confirm the facts.

> Your outrage and point that you vehemently disagree with the
> decision, even though you haven't heard the reasoning behind it
> yet, is duly noted.

It's not just me although I'm being the most vocal.  I have received
several e-mails from former DXCC staff and DXAC members saying that
the decisions in the current matter are just plain wrong and fly in
the face of the rules on several points.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV