With all due respect Ryan, I'm not convinced.  Consider:

Why send a CQ?  To solicit someone to answer you.  That is a perfectly
acceptable, and legal, one way transmission. you don't know who is going to
call you, but your intent is that someone answer you back.  And just as
obviously, sending CQ TEST in a contest is also saying that you are IN the
contest and are soliciting contacts FOR the purpose of adding them to your
contest log.  Right?

Someone sending CQ TEST continuously, without pausing to listen?  And that's
the key here, "without pausing to listen."  That's merely a one way
transmission. a broadcast.  Announcing who you are, but falsely (at least at
the moment in question) soliciting contests.  And I say "falsely" because
the transmitting station is NOT answering anyone. deliberately.

Is this in violation of the rules regarding prohibited transmissions?
Technically, maybe not.  As a practical matter?  Considering the intent of
the transmission?  Questionable at best.

However. I'm not a lawyer, let alone a communications lawyer.  However, my
lawyer is.  He'll be sharing my table at the club hamfest on Sunday, so I
can discuss it with him.  Since Mike is an inactive contester, he has more
than a little insight into the matter!

Legalisms aside. there is the issue of ethics.  Is it ethical, even if it is
legal, to "hold" a frequency for minutes, or even hours, by continuously
transmitting a fake CQ TEST while you go off and do other things?  I'm not
talking about contest rules, either.  I'm talking about good amateur
practice.  That is, after all, what we contesters are supposed to be doing,
as we demonstrate our operating skills, right?

IMHO, confiscating a frequency for a lengthy period of time, just to hold
it, deprives other operators the chance to use that frequency.  Instead of
doing something positive to boost your score, at best, you hurt the
opportunities of the other operators. both those you are directly competing
against in your entry category, and potentially anyone else in the contest
as well.

I can't see how that could possibly be considered ethical.  It strikes me as
anything but.

Just because something is legal, within the strict confines of the laws of
the land and the rules of the contest, doesn't make it right.

And that's something too many contesters seem to have forgotten.

73, ron w3wn

  _____