At 10:53 PM 7/25/2011, you wrote:

A few months ago a EZ8 was spotted on DX Watch. I tuned to the frequency and worked him.

A few minutes later there was a spot, from another EZ, stating that the EZ8 was a pirate.

Since then, I have not seen a spot for EZ. What's the story on EZ? Are there any active stations in that country?

73, Barrie, W7ALW

Barrie,

Ham radio in EZ (Turkmenistan) has been banned since August 2006. However, some EZ operators get on the air with their old (or possibly a made up call?) from time to time. Some even reportedly provide QSLs. This suggests the ban is not strictly enforced. This may change as Turkmenistan Hams are trying to get Ham radio re-instated. As far as I know, it is not legal yet, and no awards organization (the DXCC Desk, CQ magazine, etc.) will accept EZ QSLs from August 2006 onward.

73, Paul VE1DX