I dont count myself as a top notch DXer, but I have been on a few expeditions including the last major trip to Banaba T33C in 2004. I have never resorted to calling by numbers as I feel that this is the least fair way of doing things. When doing the numbers, WHY do we always start at ONE? Then we argue how many ONEs before going on to TWOs. Maybe in the USA where all the numbers are represented is is OK, but for example here in Scotland / UK, we dont have any G or GM9s, very few G/GM2s (very old timers) the 1s and the 5s are generally lower class licenses or people who have chosen not to upgrade (not all incidentally) so when they run the numbers in Europe, we are at a strong disadvantage and when for example they call for the 4s, they may only take 10 or 15, and there are a lot of EA4s, F4, I4s, DL4s, etc in addition to the UK. By the time we get a go, propagation has gone.

If you really have to thin out the pile, then working by continents is best - you guys must know the propagation difference between W1 (a real one) and a W6 (again a real one). Its the same in Europe where the SVs, 9As, IK)s, have much different propagation from us up here in the frozen north. It is every bit as frustrating for us up here when the DX operator is not in charge of the pile up but the pile up is in charge of the DX operator.

Really its an experience thing, and whilst we all have to learn, a major expedition is, in my humble opinion, not the correct time for a novice operator to learn the ropes.

Tom
GM4FDM
T33C, T33TW, 3D2DM, V8FDM, TY9TW, VP8SDX et all.