-----Original Message-----
It's astonishing (to me at least) that so few callers in pileups actually
try to listen to the pileup and figure where the DX is listening.

I thought the trick was as old as the hills:  DX in the left ear, pileup in
the right ear with a slightly wider filter, apply Human Ear Mk 1 to find
where he's listening or at least learn to follow his pattern before giving a

well-placed call.

It's not hard, is it?

[pjd] That only really works if you have a dual-watch receiver, though. I
don't think you can do that easily in something like a TS-2000 or TS-570,
etc. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can do it on many of
the Icoms (746-series, 756-series) either. It becomes an order of magnitude
harder to play with the RIT/XIT in cases like that, and also makes it easier
to forget your TX settings.

But I believe the bottom line is simply idiots clicking cluster spots on
their logging software and screaming into the mic as soon as the DX says
"QRZ". So fevered are they for a New One that they don't pay attention to
instructions. It also probably doesn't help that most of them know so little
English that anything other than the phonetics of their callsign and "five
nine" may as well be in Swahili. I can tell you, when I run Europe for
general DXing (not for contests), I work an awful lot of Italians and
stations from Spain that have a terrible time with English.

Couple this ClickyDX Syndrome with raw, green operators who've never really
learned much about DXing and were never properly taught the intricacies of
split operation and you have the mess you do.