I think it's a combination of some not knowing what there are doing
and others forgetting what they are doing.

But, every day I continue to be totally amazed, pleased & optimistic
about the future of CW as I hear the huge number of high quality CW ops
in the pileups and contests! They are not using CW programs.
Bill W5EC

  Do we think there are just an entire generation of DXers out there who
  are using CW programs and can't actually copy CW???????  I can't think
  of any other explanation.  "Up" isn't hard to figure out.  Or do they
  just not know how to use their radios??????