First off, great presentation Don!

I thought it gave a great perspective of what these "icebreaker"
DXpeditions and others to exotic places cost. Someone has to pay for
them. The operators on some DXpeditions often bear a great deal of the
cost themselves. I know a few people who have gotten involved in a
DXpedition without knowing what it would cost them personally. They
put forth an amount of money that hurt them personally financially,
hoping they could get at least some of it back. Some didn't - they
have not been on a DXpedition since. Live and learn, I guess. And our
loss when a fine operator can't or won't go on another DXpedition.

I know some of the people who were on the VP8ORK DXpedition. Some of
the fees they had to pay were downright weird - and sounded exorbitant
to me. But what are you going to do? Refuse to pay a fee to get your
equipment out of storage? You would be in a bad position thousands of
miles from home, trying to meet an expedition timetable and unable to
speak the language of the country, trying to negotiate with those
people.

If you want the DXpedition, if you want it there for you to work, it
seems only right to me that you voluntarily contribute what you can.
Not that it has to be $5 per QSO, but every little bit helps.

None of the DXpeditions I wished to have confirmed recently have
demanded any fees for QSL'ing. But I do voluntarily send them
something. I hope it helps just a little. If enough people do that, it
increases the chance that they will go on another DXpedition to a rare
place in a few years.

And I agree - if the DXpedition so chooses to send out confirmation to
contributors first, that is their choice and it doesn't mean that
non-contributors are not going to get their confirmation. If you had
to wait for 20 years for an entity to be put on the air, what's a
couple extra months waiting for the confirmation?

73, Zack W9SZ