Aw, c'mon Barry, can we please stop automatically blaming EVERYTHING on the
ARRL?

Even if the individual band certificates, or 5 Band, didn't exist... there
would still be induhviduals who would just HAVE to work the DX on every
possible band/mode combination they could operate on.  There would still be
induhviduals who will run as much power as they can to get in the log
"first".  There would still be induhviduals who will work the DX every
single day on the same band/mode, just to show off that they can.

In short, there will always be DX Hogs.  That is an ugly facet of human
nature.

And I speak as one of the little pistols... sometimes more like a squirt
gun.  I can still remember more than a few times, when chasing DX for 80/75,
that a DX Hog would step all over me.  And when asked, the few that
responded gave me an answer to "why did you do that?" that boiled down to
"because I can, and if you don't like it, tough noogies."

There may be more DX Hogs out there today than long ago, but then, there are
also more hams, and more DX'ers, out there as well.  So the problem may seem
to be worse than it ever was, but only in terms of numbers (IMHO), not
percentage of poor operators out of total operators.

We should concentrate on trying to lead by example, to teach those who are
willing to learn how to operate properly.  Not assign blame.

But the DX Hogs and general purpose lids?  There will always be some,
because some induhviduals have egos that persuade them to be such.  All we
can do is try to minimize the damage that they do, and ignore them when we
can.

Blaming an organization because they expanded an award program upon popular
request?  C'mon.

73