Well, let me ask this question: What would the ham radio world be like
if there were no DXCC or similar awards? How much would a DX station
in some semi-rare place like Andorra get pileups when he was on the
air?

I could see someone like JY1 having pileups whether or not there was a
DXCC, but there aren't that many celebrities in amateur radio. I
suspect if there were no DXCC, people would just work DX once in a
while for the novelty of it and there would be actual conversations
taking place, not just "599 TU." And no one else would care.

I myself am not trying to make HR on every band and every mode. Is
there anyone who does have HR on every band? Right now I'm just
interested in HR for the basic Mixed award.

DXing is only competitive in the case where a DXpedition is only going
to have a limited amount of time and is only going to make a certain
number of QSO's. If a station is only going to have propagation to an
area of the world for a couple hours on a certain band (say 20 meters
as was the case to the USA for the last VU7 operation) then if they
spend all their time working other areas of the world who want to fill
their band/modes during those couple hours, they are going to get
someone angry. Someone is going to get cheated. A DXpedition to a
Pacific island did just that a few years ago. They only worked JA's on
the low bands during the US sunrise. I think they got a lot of us
upset. I commend the A5A operation for only working NA stations during
the couple hours that they have peak propagation to here.

Some people who actually live in a certain country or who have lived
there for a couple years on an assignment usually work everyone who
wants a QSO. I think of A22MN as an example. I heard him calling CQ
with no takers after he'd been in Botswana for a year. That doesn't
look like competition to me. But Dave was on the air a lot. Monk
Apollo isn't on the air that much and is still in demand.

I guess you'd have to look at each station on an individual basis.
It's very rare that someone is going to make everyone happy.

73, Zack W9SZ