Well, let me ask this question: What would the ham radio world be like
if there were no DXCC or similar awards?

Arguably better in many ways. Among them, one could argue the ability to have prolonged and therefore interesting discussions with hams in other parts of the world would be enjoyable and equally as challenging as DX competition.

The lack of a DXCC certificate in no way limits or precludes the challenge of working countries, band-countries, zones, counties, etc... The existence of certificates fills a need only among those who are compelled to demonstrate their accomplishment(s) to others who presumably couldn't care less. The accomplishment remains equal regardless.

I won't enumerate problems like qrm, too-wide pileup spreads, a life outside ham radio, etc...

Just my take but for every person who lives and breathes dx, there are many more who find enjoyment without external considerations.

Don K1VSK