You are stating your view of amateur radio, but it is certainly not
universal. Some people hate long conversation on amateur radio, or any
medium for that matter.

I rarely ever have a long conversation on amateur radio. To me that's
not really the point of the medium. In fact I have more conversations
with hams (and others) on VOIP services such as Skype. There are no
content restrictions and we're not subject to QRM, QRN and the like
and it is private among us.

I can use any medium to talk.

But to experiment with and play with radio, I use amateur radio. This
includes DXing, which lets me investigate radio wave propagation as
well as improve my station and compare how it performs to others.

And this whole "accomplishment is equal" stuff? Works for some people,
not for others. There is definitely competition, whether it be between
hams in a club or against strangers who you don't know, or even your
past accomplishments.

Not everyone wants to be casual. Some want to be competitive.

Ryan, N2RJ

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Don Berger <dberger...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Well, let me ask this question: What would the ham radio world be like
>> if there were no DXCC or similar awards?
>

> Arguably better in many ways. Among them, one could argue the ability to
> have prolonged and therefore interesting discussions with hams in other
> parts of the world would be enjoyable and equally as challenging as DX
> competition.
>
> The lack of a DXCC certificate in no way limits or precludes the challenge
> of working countries, band-countries, zones, counties, etc... The existence
> of certificates fills a need only among those who are compelled to
> demonstrate their accomplishment(s) to others who presumably couldn't care
> less. The accomplishment remains equal regardless.
>
> I won't enumerate problems like qrm, too-wide pileup spreads, a life outside
> ham radio, etc...
>
> Just my take but for every person who lives and breathes dx, there are many
> more who find enjoyment without external considerations.
>
> Don K1VSK

> or
> subscribe dx-chat

Ryan A. Jairam