I'm replying to this on DX-CHAT.

A lot of those excellent ops are no longer with us. For whatever else he
got involved in, Don Miller was one of the best CW ops ever and could sit
there and churn out QSO's as you describe. So could Danny Weil, the
Colvins, Ron ZL1AMO, Rudi DJ5CQ, G3SWH, Baldur DJ6SI, and many others. Many
of these are now Silent Keys and I haven't heard too much lately from some
of the others.

I have noticed some of the same things in pileups lately. There was a
discussion on another list about DXpeditions now using Skimmer to identify
stations in the pileups. I have nothing against using technology to augment
skill, but if technology replaces skill altogether, it will not be good.

73, Zack W9SZ