Latest News on 2005 Peter I Dxpedition

Press Release # 12
Feb. 11, 2005

All of the 3Y0X team members have now assembled in Ushuaia, Argentina.  Four of the European operators arrived in Ushuaia on Friday, Feb. 11, bringing the total number of assembled members to 20.

As most of you know, the team had to shift its staging area from Punta Arenas, Chile to Ushuaia, Argentina.  The sea container full of the team’s supplies had to be moved through the complex customs process and then overland trucking arranged to move the container.  The container is due to arrive in Ushuaia on Saturday, Feb. 12.  This change in points of embarkation also resulted in the need to re-evaluate our propane fittings and change our food supply source.  These have been very busy days for the team.

The ship is fueled and ready to make its way from Comodoro Rivadavia to Ushuaia to pick up the team and load their supplies.

The helicopter company shocked the team by substituting a different, smaller helicopter and delaying its availability by 6 days.  We are now in the processs of contract negotiations with two other helicopter charter companies.  This is our remaining hurdle.

If we are unable to sail to Peter I by the middle of next week due to the helicopter situation, we will likely postpone until next year.  However, at this time we still have options and we remain optimistic.  Meanwhile the team is enjoying the incredibly beautiful weather in Tierra del Fuego and the hospitality of the local hams.

Don Greenbaum
Aurum Telemedia Co.
27 Pill Hill Lane, Duxbury, MA 02332
phone: 781 934 5534 fax: 781 934 5573