Kure-Osity #4

by H. Ward Silver, NØAX ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
K7C Team Member

K7C Web site: http://www.cordell.org/htdocs/KURE/

Working and QSLing the Expedition

Team members are converging on Honolulu to complete preparations and
sail for Kure on the 15th of September. Captain Bill Austin is
preparing the Machias to be our home away from home for the next
month and local kahunas Kimo KH7U and Pat NH6UY are doing yeoman
service in handling gear and shipping chores. For example, to prevent
importation of invasive species to Kure, new clothing is required and
all supplies will be deep frozen before shipping! To do my part, I've
purchased the world's ugliest tennis shoes just for the island and
you'll no doubt seen my colorful apparel in several photos.

Now, the important part - working the Expedition. For those DXers
located around the Pacific Rim, we ask your forbearance and patience
as we take advantage of any openings to the other side of the world.
Kure is very rare in Europe and the propagation path takes us
directly over the North Pole and through the auroral zone. If the
propagation gods smile upon us, we will be able to put many EU call
signs in the log, but only if our friends closer to Kure give them a
chance. The same goes for the various regions of North America - be
disciplined and stand by when requested.

While you are listening for Kure, also take some time to listen to
the NCDXF beacon system's outpost in Honolulu, KH6WO. (The system is
described at www.ncdxf.org/beacons.html) If you can hear that beacon,
you can probably hear us and maybe we can hear you. We will be
particularly interested in reports from the US, SA, and JA of 10- and
12-meter beacon reception. From EU, reception reports on 17-meters
and up will be of interest. You can contribute those reports through
our relay stations listed on the Web site and in the previous Kure-
Osity Bulletin.

Our first goal will be to give as many different DXers a contact with
the island and that may mean focusing on the one or two most reliable
bands
for the first few days. Later in the expedition, we'll try to explore
openings on more marginal bands. Pay close attention to the DXA Web
site and to the K7C operators instructions and bulletins. Because we
are at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, we won't have the luxury of
big openings on any band we choose. Be alert and don't depend on the
spotting networks to lead you to us - keep that Big Knob turning!

Speaking of DXA, the K7C expedition will aim for the highest
standards of logging accuracy, even under trying conditions of
personal or ionospheric circumstance, but don't presume that if the
call sign is "close" you'll get a card. Use the band-mode status
display on the DXA Web site (www.cordell.org/DXA) to confirm that
your call is in the log. If it is, don't make "insurance QSOs",
depriving some other DXer of their contact.  Make sure that your
clock and calendar are set properly to avoid time and date errors on
your QSL. The mark of a good DXer is accurate logging and
QSLing - after all, are we radio operators or computer screen
watchers?

If possible, I will file one more bulletin before the Machias shoves
off from the pier and we begin our adventure. All is well, and we
hope to be QRV on schedule from the oldest and furthest of the
Hawaiian Islands, setting your imaginations and S-meter needles
jumping!

The NJDXA is a proud sponsor of the K7C DXpedition
Additional information can be found at:
        http://www.cordell.org/htdocs/KURE/index.html