> > > 425 DX NEWS MAGAZINE < < <

   The latest issue (June 2006) is now available at www.425dxn.org/monthly/

SB PROP ARL ARLP031
ARLP031 Propagation de K7RA

Last Friday, July 28, a high speed solar wind stream hit earth, and created
a geomagnetic disturbance that drove the planetary and mid-latitude A index
up to 29 and 26, respectively.  This actually began in the early hours of
Friday UTC, which was Thursday afternoon and early evening in North
America.  Both mid-latitude and planetary K index rose to six.  If you
noticed some periods of high absorption, or when the only propagation
seemed to occur north to south, that would be why.

Now we are moving slowly toward the fall equinox, and HF radio conditions
tend to get better when the hours of light and darkness are equal between
the northern and southern hemispheres.

This week we saw the average daily sunspot number rise over five points to
20.  We will see little variations like this as the solar cycle declines
toward its minimum next year.  Solar activity still seems too high to be at
the bottom though.  A glance at graphs of smoothed sunspot numbers shows we
are still experiencing more sunspots than the minimum back in 1996.  Check
the graph at
<http://wm7d.net/hamradio/solar/historical.shtml>http://wm7d.net/hamradio/solar/historical.shtml

on the very bottom of the page, and
<http://www.sec.noaa.gov/weekly/pdf/prf1613.pdf>http://www.sec.noaa.gov/weekly/pdf/prf1613.pdf

on page 9.  Further down on page 9, you can see that the prediction for the
smoothed sunspot number for August 2006 is the same as for August of next
year, and the minimum is somewhere in between.  That means according to
this graph, a year from now the new solar cycle will be bouncing back from
the minimum, and rising past the point where we are now.  The smoothed
numbers are averaged over many months (I think this graph uses a moving
six-month average) to help us see past the ''noise'' of daily
variations.  This graph shows a minimum in January 2007, only five months
from now, with a smoothed sunspot number of five.

July is over, so we can look at some monthly averages of sunspot numbers
and solar flux.

The average daily sunspot numbers for the months July 2005 through July
2006 were 68.7, 65.6, 39.2, 13, 32.2, 62.6, 26.7, 5.3, 21.3, 55.2, 39.6,
24.4 and 22.6.  Average daily solar flux for the same months was 96.5, 92.4
, 91.9, 76.6, 86.3, 90.8, 83.4, 76.5, 75.5, 88.9, 80.9, 76.5 and 75.8.

Over the past week I've been playing with the excellent HF radio
propagation software, ACE-HF Pro, written by Richard Buckner.  ACE is an
acronym: Animated Communications Effectiveness, and it was originally
written for VLF communication with submarines.

This program is really a treat.  ACE-HF Pro is based on software that
Buckner wrote for military and commercial clients while at Collins Radio,
and it uses the VOACAP engine.  He has a new version 2.05 out, which is
much more Windows-friendly than earlier versions. With it, you can produce
colorful graphs that make it easy to visualize propagation over time and
space, and users can even animate the results to produce a movie of signal
coverage over time. Unlike other propagation programs I've used, it also
makes 160-meter predictions, and attempts to predict sporadic-E skip.

Tomas Hood, NW7US, who writes the monthly Propagation column for CQ
Magazine, did some detailed reviews of ACE-HF in the May and July
issues.  He also has reviews online at
<http://hfradio.org/ace-hf/>http://hfradio.org/ace-hf/ . Among the
interesting and unusual features is the ability to factor antenna radiation
patterns into the calculations of propagation paths.

David Mays, W8UI of St. Marys, West Virginia sent some big beacon lists for
HF and six meters, put together by G3USF.  See them at
<http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/por/28.htm>http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/por/28.htm

and
<http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/por/50.htm>http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/por/50.htm.

Also, Bruce Brackin, N5SIX of Brandon, Mississippi commented on Larry
Godek, W0OGH and his wish for a database of 10-meter repeaters searchable
by frequency, all across North America, rather than lists sorted by
state.  This would help him identify the location of 10 meter repeaters
when they appear.  David recommends getting the ARRL TravelPlus CD, then
exporting the data to a CVS file and sorting it in a spreadsheet program.

If you would like to make a comment or have a tip for our readers, email
the author at, k7raarrl.net.

For more information concerning radio propagation, see the ARRL
Technical Information Service at
<http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/propagation.html>http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/propagation.html.

For a detailed explanation of the numbers used in this bulletin, see
<http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/k9la-prop.html>http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/k9la-prop.html.

An archive of past propagation bulletins is at
<http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/prop/>http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/prop/ .

Sunspot numbers for July 27 through August 2 were 23, 17, 19, 23, 25, 11
and 22 with a mean of 20. 10.7 cm flux was 74.4, 72.6, 73, 73.9, 72.4,
72.8, and 72.1, with a mean of 73. Estimated planetary A indices were 9,
29, 5, 5, 12, 12 and 10 with a mean of 11.7. Estimated mid-latitude A
indices were 5, 26, 3, 3, 11, 9 and 7, with a mean of 9.1.

        ,-~~-.___.
       / |  '     \
      (  )         0
       \_/-, ,----'
          ====           //
         /  \-'~;    /~~~(O)
        /  __/~|   /       |
      =(  _____| (_________|
______________________________

   Mauro Pregliasco, I1JQJ
       425 DX News Editor
    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     http://www.425dxn.org

                        >>> 425 DX NEWS - NEW SEARCH TOOL <<<

Leonardo Lastrucci, IZ5FSA  has developed a software which allows to query the
425 DX News Archive  maintained on www.ariscandicci.it from the PacketCluster.
The command is SH/425 [text], where [text] should be replaced with a callsign,
a IOTA Reference number, Island name, Antarctica Base, Lighthouse, etc.