>From the top band reflector archive:

      To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Subject:  Topband: W5YU SK
      From:  Jon Zaimes AA1K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      Date:  Wed, 05 Jul 2006 13:15:08 -0400

 From the Daily DX:

  Silent Keys

Monday 75 meter icon W5YU, Otto John Degner, passed away.  Otto had an
impressive 305 countries on 80 meters and 364 countries on SSB
confirmed at the DXCC Desk.  He was 87 years old.  Friends around the
world remember Otto as a gentleman and a diplomat.  KF7E, Jim, said
Otto "is now where the bands are always open, the QRN is never a
bother, and The Deserving are coming up the hill to see him."

---

Otto was also a regular on 160m chasing DX over the years. In the '80s and
'90s
we often worked him and  Bob ZL2BT (SK) as they kept nightly skeds on SSB at
ZL
sunset. Otto had a rhombic on 100ft poles on his ranch QTH in NM (he also
had a
more urban QTH). One of his other hobbies was square-dance calling.

Rest in peace Otto.

73/Jon AA1K