Hi Jim,

Haven't received my QST yet but read Brooke's piece on the web which you mentioned in your "broadcast". I never worked 9N1MM (or any other 9N for that matter - yet!) but I am privileged to have met Father Moran in person. How's that for a long shot from California?

I'm retired now from NASA-JPL in Pasadena, CA where I managed an international standards program for space communications and data. Father Moran came to visit us during the heyday of planetary exploration in 1978. He wanted to see where we controlled our space missions from, and visit our radio club. The Public Information Office contacted the radio club and they escorted him to see W6VIO and then dropped by my office to introduce him to me. (I was the newsletter editor). It was quite an exciting moment. He had an aura of uniqueness and empathy about him that you find with well-known personalities. Now I see his trip to California was a rare one for him, since he seldom left Nepal. You can see an article about his visit in our club's archives at

http://www.jplrecclubs.caltech.edu/radio/calling/1978/sep/sep78.html

A couple of weeks ago I just returned from an Elderhostel trip to Bhutan. I'm sorry I didn't arrange some extra days for ham radio while there, but we were maxed out on the number of days we could stay away from home. Didn't go via Nepal, but hitting the two in a future trip would make a really rare DXpedition, at least for us west-coasters!

Thanks for forwarding the interesting link.

73,
- - Merv MacMedan, N6NO